Animal Humane New Mexico extends our heartfelt thoughts to those who have been impacted by COVID-19 worldwide.
With an increasing number of confirmed cases across the United States and in New Mexico, you can find the most updated information on what we are doing to keep our pets, Team, guests and visitors healthy and safe here.
Updated Hours & Service Availability
Please see the appropriate update for specific hours of operation, service availability and important access & protocol information.
- Pet Food Bank (Thursday & Sunday) (Up. 3.16)
- Monetary donations can be made online or by calling 505.938.7938.
- In-Kind donations of bleach, pet food & treats are desperately needed & appreciated. While our Campus is closed to the public, items purchased on our Amazon Wish List can still be shipped directly to 615 Virginia St. SE 87108
Currently Closed or Postponed
- Main Campus Adoptions (Up. 3.23)
- Admissions (Up. 3.23)
- Donor-subsidized Veterinary Clinic (Up. 3.23)
- Thrift Shop (Up. 3.16)
- Westside Adoption Center (Up. 3.16)
- The Center at Animal Humane (Up. 3.16 & Up. 3.19)
- To reduce campus traffic, we currently request that most volunteer groups stay home. (Up. 3.16)
Please check back frequently for the latest information.
Interested in Fostering?
We are incredibly grateful for our community’s outpouring of support and the unprecedented number of Foster Caregiver applications that have come in since New Mexico’s first case of COVID-19 appeared. At this time, most of our pets have already been welcomed with open arms by new & existing Foster Caregivers. The small population remaining on our Main Campus is being cared for daily by dedicated members of our Team. While still welcome your Foster Care application, please consider contacting one of our partner shelters about fostering a pet in need. When we work in community, we can save more lives.
City of Albuquerque Animal Welfare Department: Email [email protected]
Bernalillo County Animal Care and Resource Center: Email [email protected] or call (505)269-3877
Espanola Humane Society: Call Linda at (505)927-3675 or apply online at www.espanolahumane.org
Farmington Regional Animal Shelter: Email [email protected] or call (505)599-8386
Santa Fe Humane Society: Call (505)938-4309 Ext 1270 or email [email protected]
Stray Hearts Taos Animal Shelter: Call (575)758-2981
Torrance County Animal Shelter: Call (505)384-5117 or message them on Facebook (“Torrance County Animal Services”)
Have You Lost or Found a Pet?
We realize that temporarily limited or closed intakes at shelters across the state can make it more difficult to find a lost pet or to reunite a pet with their owner. Below are some resources to help if you have lost or found a pet.
- If you have found a pet, please visit your closest veterinary clinic to have the pet scanned for a microchip
- Post a lost or found pet report on neighborhood apps, including Pawboost & Nextdoor
- Search & post on social media, many cities have Lost & Found pet groups whose members work hard to reunite pets & people
- Use Pawboost to create a free flyer & post in the area you found the pet or in the area your pet was last seen
- Post on Animal Humane’s Lost & Found website: https://animalhumanenm.org/adopt/lost-found/
- Report a lost or found pet to AWD by calling 311, including the Pawboost information
- Frequently review local shelter websites & their Facebook for updates incoming strays or for Lost/Found posts
Effective Tuesday, March 24: In accordance with Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s issued statewide “stay-at-home” public health order to do our part to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, we are closing our Adoptions & Clinic services to the public. We will be closed...read more
Effective Friday, March 20: Adoptions: By appointment only Tuesday through Sunday, 11 am to 5:30 pm To schedule an appointment, please call 505.255.5523, Ext. 139 When scheduling an appointment, please be aware of the following: We cannot guarantee the availability of...read more
Effective Thursday, March 19, our shelter operating hours are as follows: Adoptions: 11 am to 6 pm Admissions: Surrendered pets are accommodated by appointment, please call 505.938.7861 to schedule. Stray pets will be accommodated on a walk-in basis, space permitting....read more
If you have traveled outside the state of New Mexico within the last two weeks OR you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 & have not seen a healthcare professional, please exercise appropriate social distancing as recommended by the CDC. Adoptions: Main Campus Hours...read more
Animal Humane New Mexico prides itself on the care given to the pets who reside with us before they find their forever homes. We have high-standard-cleaning practices that are followed each day for all our kennels, cat condos, communal rooms, bonding rooms, lobbies,...read more