Dog Training Class Policies
For the safety of yourself, your pet, and other participants, you are required to follow the instructions of the course trainers at all times.
- Arrive to class with your dog on-leash. Please arrive on-time.
- Do not allow your dog to greet other dogs unless instructed to do so by your trainer. Many dogs are not comfortable with on-leash greetings.
- Please provide your dog the opportunity to eliminate before class and make sure to pick up after your pet.
- Plan on bringing the following training tools with your dog every week:
- A well-fitted flat collar (one that cannot slip over your dog’s head), harness, or head halter. No choke chains or pronged collars.
- A non-retractable, 4 to 6 foot leash. No Flexi-Leads.
- A variety of yummy treats that your dog loves!
CIVILIZED CANINE: Please note that the first week of class is people-only. Please bring yourself and any family members you would like to include on your dog’s training. (This applies only to our Civilized Canine adult dog class.)
VACCINATIONS: Please bring your pet’s vaccination history with you to the first session of class. We require proof of the following vaccinations for participation:
- For Puppy Preschool: 2 rounds of distemper/parvo booster vaccination and Bordatella. Vaccinations must be administered 14 days prior to the start of class.
- For Civilized Canine: Current 1-year or 3-year Rabies plus 1 current round of distemper/parvo booster vaccination or proof of titer, and Bordatella. Vaccinations must be administered 14 days prior to the start of class.
Behavior Seminars Policies
Our Behavior Seminars are people-only events. Please arrive a few moments before the class start time to ensure time to sign in.
HOLIDAYS & MAKE-UP CLASSES: Unless otherwise stated, your class will run for 6 consecutive weeks at the same time, day and location every week. Classes will not take place on federally recognized holidays; classes may also occasionally be cancelled due to inclement weather. Your trainer will notify you of any holiday closures or cancellations, and the class session will be extended by one week to make up for missed days.
MISSED CLASSES: Enrolled students are required to attend the first class session. Students who miss the first session without making prior arrangements (at least 7 days before) do not qualify for a refund of course fees. If any other session is missed, please contact the trainer to discuss topics and homework. We do not offer make-up sessions on missed classes.
CHILDREN IN CLASS: All family members are encouraged to attend training sessions. For everyone’s safety, please follow these guidelines:
- Children must be supervised during the entire session. Children under 10 must be supervised by an adult other than the parent handling the dog.
- No running or yelling will be permitted
- Not all dogs are friendly or comfortable around children. Children must be instructed never to approach or pet any dog other than their own.
UNALTERED PETS: We welcome all friendly dogs, altered and unaltered. However, female dogs in their estrus cycle may not come to class. If your female begins her cycle during a training course, no refund will be given.
DANGEROUS OR DISRUPTIVE DOGS: If your dog displays behaviors that significantly impact the learning environment of the class or are dangerous to other people or animals in the class, you will be required to leave class. However, if this occurs, you will receive two free private consultations with our Behavior Team.
A refund of course fees can be provided if we are notified at least 7 days before the first class that your dog will be unable to attend.
If, within the first 3 sessions of a course, your dog becomes unable to continue to attend due to an injury or illness, you may notify us to receive a credit toward a future course. This credit is good for one year and is non-transferable.
Refunds and credits will not be issued for classes missed for reasons other than injury or illness of the attending dog or for students who miss the first session of class without prior notification.
WAIVER & RELEASE (agreed to at registration)
I understand that participating in dog training classes at Animal Humane New Mexico includes an element of risk for both myself and my dog. I agree to abide by any decision of an instructor relative to the dog’s and my ability to complete the course safely. I further assume any and all risks associated with participating in this course including, but not limited to, illness, falls, contact with other participants and dogs, and surface conditions, all risks being understood and appreciated by me. I also affirm that the dog that I will be participating with has current vaccinations appropriate to his/her age. I agree to abide by all rules of the course.
Having read this waiver and knowing these facts, and in consideration of the acceptance of my registration, I hereby for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, or anyone else who might claim on my behalf, covenant not to sue, and waive, release and discharge Animal Humane New Mexico, volunteers and employees in any way assisting or connected with this course from any claims or liability of any kind whatsoever arising out of my participating in dog training classes, even though the liability may arise out of negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons or parties named in this waiver.
I also understand that Animal Humane New Mexico may subsequently use, for publicity or promotional purposes, my name or pictures of me or my pet without liability or obligation to me.