Date(s) - 02/01/2020
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
PLEASE NOTE: THIS SESSION OF NEW TEAM SCREENING IS FULL. PLEASE REACH OUT TO US ABOUT THE SUMMER SESSION IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COMPLETING SCREENING
The first step required for handlers interested in becoming a Warm Hearts Network Volunteer Visiting Team with their dog. Screening helps you determine if you and your dog are ready to move on to testing for team registration.
To qualify for a screening:
- Dog is at least 2 years old
- Dog has been part of your family for at least 6 months
- Dog displays exceptional behavior and personality traits
- Dog enjoys interactions with other people
- Dog can perform basic obedience skills including sit, come, down, stay, walk on a loose leash, walk by food on the ground without taking it, work in the presence of other dogs (without greeting them), and easily engage with a stranger
- Dog does not wear a slip collar (“choke chain,” whether metal or fabric), a prong/ pinch collar, an electronic shock collar (e-collar, stim collar, etc) or a head-halter (Gentle Leader® or HALTI style head collars) in order to maintain polite behavior in public
- Dog is not easily overwhelmed by novel noises, sights, touch, or smells
- Dog responds quickly and accurately to cues in novel environments and with distractions
- Person is attentive to their dog and knows their preferences for populations
- Person can engage dog using calm voice
- Person can predict or respond to dogs needs
Screening typically requires 2 hours and is done in an open, classroom-like setting with other dogs and people present.
There is no charge for this screening.
To register for screening, email WarmHeartsNetwork@AnimalHumaneNM.org.