The Perfect Pet is Waiting for You!
Before Your Visit
Browse our available pets by clicking one of the images. Pet profiles contain detailed information about our pets’ personalities, temperaments, sizes & locations.
During Your Visit:
- Adoptions are completed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- No holds may be placed over the phone and completing an interest form does not constitute a hold on that specific pet.
- Please allow plenty of time to meet your perfect pet. Once you have selected a pet, the adoption process will take at least 30 minutes. We do not begin the adoption process after 5:30 pm.
- Animal Humane New Mexico abides by the City of Albuquerque’s HEART Ordinance by performing background checks on all adopters who must meet our Qualified Adopter Policy.
- We reserve the right to refuse an adoption for any reason.
After Your Visit
- Make an appointment with your veterinarian.
- Contact our Behavior Helpline at 505.938.7900 or BehaviorHelpline@AnimalHumaneNM.org if you need advice on integrating your new pet into your home.
- Keep us updated! We love to hear about your adventures with your furry family members. Updates can be sent to pUpdate@AnimalHumaneNM.org.
Want to visit a pet located at our Main Campus?
Our Main Campus is performs adoptions Tuesday through Saturday on a walk-in basis. Please stop by from 10 am to 6 pm to meet available pets.
Want to visit a pet located at our Westside Adoption Center?
Our Westside Adoption Center (WAC) performs adoptions on a walk-in basis. The WAC opens at 10 am seven days a week. We are closed for lunch between 1 – 2 pm each day. We do not begin the adoption process after 5:30 pm.
Adopting from Animal Humane
Thank you for choosing to adopt a homeless pet! Every year, thousands of dogs and cats in New Mexico need loving new homes. Your decision to adopt a homeless pet will save the life of your new companion, as well as the life of the pet we are able to care for next.
At Animal Humane, our experienced Adoptions Advisors will help you find the perfect pet for your family. Because we spend time evaluating and getting to know every pet through ASPCA®’s Meet Your Match program, we can introduce you to the right dogs or cats that will be the best fit for you and your family.
The Adoption Process
Other Ways to Adopt
Animal Humane continues to be an innovator in finding new ways to introduce adoptable pets to potential adopters. Through programs like Cats Around Town and Working Cats, we are helping to save more lives every day.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to adopt a pet?
Am I allowed to take a pet home on a trial period?
Animal Humane New Mexico offers a 7-day trial adoption for adult dogs upon request. This period can often be used to determine if the pet will be a good fit in your home. Please note that only adult dogs that have already been spayed or neutered are eligible for trial adoptions.
What should I bring with me when adopting a pet?
Part of Animal Humane’s mission is to provide support for pet owners in New Mexico to help prevent the need to surrender their beloved pets to a shelter. If you need assistance with your pet’s behavior, dietary needs, or medical care, please contact us or explore ways that the programs in our Circle of Care may be able to help.
We know how terrible it is to lose a pet. We also know how difficult it might be to find a found pet’s family. Learn immediate actions you can take to help reunite pets with their owners.